All Players.....Please Read and Comment

Read-Only Forum for General News concerning Alasiya EvE.
Guest read access allowed.

Server Development

Post Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:39 am

All Players.....Please Read and Comment

All Players...
this concerns my "Main" server.

Due to some major setbacks, and other coding problems i have run into ( because i am NOT a coder, and this is an experimental branch ), i believe i will have to
revert to a known GOOD source and rebuild from there.
The first major current problem, which is a major setback, is the infamous BlackScreen ( A.K.A. BS ).
The second is related ( i think ), and the client screen shows just a starfield, with nothing on overview, or ship controls ( speedo, status, modules, etc )
This occurs at random times, and without warning, but moreso when items OTHER than players ( and their ships ) are located in a system, or bubble, or both.....not really sure.

after a couple months tracking it down and trying to fix, it turns out this particular server system ( NOT solar system ), is very broke, and has been for a while.
this means i've reverted changes back almost a year and havent found one that works consistently.

however, even my Official branch seems to have the same problem, but on relog, it works again.
this has happened in my testing of official branch revisions going back over a year. too much has changed to go back farther.

at this time, i think my best course of action is to start with the current official branch, and begin adding my updates and fixes, with more thorough testing between updates.
this will also give me the chance to push my updates to official branch, as well.
Because of this, i will be deleting my experimental branch, and starting over.

At this time, there are 379 files in 69 directories changed between my branch and Official. This update/merge will not be overnight, so patience is a virtue here.

of the systems i have working, ( or had, if you will ) i am looking for input on what i should re-implement first, from a player's perspective for playing and/or testing.

before i work on any given suggestions, these are the systems that will be implemented first, as they are the base for space-based things ( well, it IS a space game )
Destiny Movement ( partially completed already ( 90% )) - will finish orbit, and verify follow, and implement skeleton code for collision detection.
Destiny Messaging ( started, partially working ( 40% )) - this will be a big help for server/client/object tracking, and have code ready for most objects.

with no suggestions, my order of things will go as follows:
NPC spawning/despawning - this will include spawn groups, automatic rat spawning, and "roaming" rat fleets ( amount undecided at this time ) ...RoidRat Spawn System 90% Complete. 2 June 2015
Asteroid Belt Manager System - this will be a complete system for managing asteroids in a system. see this post for info.... http://eve.alasiya.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=80
NPC AI System - current implementation finds player ships, targets, and attacks. there is no real 'intelligence' in their attacks. ( will be updated with Module Manager updates )
ML/PL - this system is hacked, but working. will endeavor to correct code and implement properly. ...hack fixed. code is correct now. *not sure on when*
Standings - skeleton code started. Faction Standings implemented. see this post... http://eve.alasiya.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=78.
Map Items ( partially completed already ( 90% )) - most map data is completed and working.
Station Services ( partially completed already ( 90% )) - this includes insurance, repair, and medical, but NOT jump clones, LP store, Agents, and trade. ...insurance working 21Aug15

items and systems to update but not completed:
Wallet Journal - most of the code for the journal is there, but not being used. it needs implementation.
Fleets - skeleton code started. call system uses method chaining. i have not been able to return an object reference thru our python implementation to client. will be a complicated system.
Alliances - skeleton code
POS - skeleton code ( with many notes and ideas for implementation )

list of systems to look at and/or work on for later: ( complicated, waiting on other systems, and/or unsure of operation/calls/returns )
Corporations - i have found quite a few problems with the current implementation of some parts of this very complicated system.
Contracts - this system is started, but not complete. unsure of exact current status.
Item Creation - this system needs special classes wrote for un-handled items (wrecks, POS items, others i cant remember offhand) Wreck Class compete. 4 April 2015
BookMark System - this system is partially working already, but was left in an unfinished state due to complications i didnt understand.
Mission System - ideas started. this will have to be created from scratch. we currently have no code for missions. see this post...http://eve.alasiya.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=81
Scanning - skeleton code started. call system uses method chaining. i have not been able to return an object reference thru our python implementation to client. will be a complicated system.
LSC - not sure of current status.
Dungeon System - deslona started DB tables. skeleton code in place, but not implemented. will be a complicated system.

NOTE, the above lists are in order of importance, and each item will be noted as i complete ( or address ) the item

During this time, Server Stability will be tested and anything that has potential to crash the server will be investigated and dealt with. ...fixed 8 separate segfaults (3 major) so far. 31Aug15
i will also be looking into Server Concurrency ( multi-threading ).
i have heard rumors that the current server system cannot handle many online clients at a time ( > 10 or so ), so i will be looking into this also.

NOTE...entire physical structure of code needs work. will be updating header includes to correct format, and removing duplicates/redundancies
this will be a large undertaking.

Server Development

Post Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:31 am

UPDATES......

Server Concurrency is in place. TCP and Image services run in a seperate thread from main server.

Alasiya EvEmu Server is back online with all previous code improvements and fixes in place and working. 4 April 2015
Destiny Messaging, Item Creation, and Asteroid Belt Manager System are in progress now. 4 April 2015
Item Creation - Wrecks and POS have their own class, and are implemented. POS code is not complete (large system). 4 April 2015
Scanning System - will be large, complicated system. cannot return object reference to client for method chaining. 8 April 2015
Fleet System - will be complicated system. cannot return object reference to client for method chaining. 8 April 2015

Destiny Manager Update is now live. 7 March 2015
Destiny Manager is now Complete. 8 July 2015

Destiny Messaging is Complete. 21 June 2015
    Skill Training - Done 15 March 2015
    Ship Movement Broadcasting (in DestinyManager) - Done 20 March 2015
    Ship Movement Broadcasting (in BubbleManager) - Done 24 March 2015
    Update Ship Information Broadcasting in SystemManager - Done 2 April 2015
    Update SendSetState(), which fixed BlackScreen. Done 26 April 2015

NPC system. Work in Progress. 4 April 2015
    NPC variables update. In Progress. 20 April 2015
    NPC AI rewrite. Complete Overhaul. Working, Incomplete. 22 June 2015
    NPC Spawn system...Complete Overhaul. Working, Incomplete. 2 June 2015
    NPCs Loot system rewrite. Working, Incomplete. 3 June 2015

Skill Training "Completion Imminent" Fixed. 13 April 2015
Fixed receiving Some Skills at Level 0 on Char Creation. 14 May 2015
Wrote profile system for code timing. (internal code) 14 April 2015
Updated Command roles. 18 April 2015
Damage System rewrite. Working, Incomplete. 7 June 2015
Wrote Turrent Tracking code, and Implemented Skills for Turrents. Working, Complete. 10 June 2015
Begin implementing Modules. Some Working. Incomplete. May
Standings system rewrite. Faction Standings Working. Incomplete. 11 April 2015
Fix Asteroid Belt Spawning. Working, Incomplete 9 May 2015
Wrote Missile Class. Done. 25 May 2015
Optimized Module Code. Incomplete. 30 May 2015
Mining Implemented. Working, Incomplete. 31 May 2015
Manufacturing Update. Working, Incomplete. 1 June 2015
Reprocessing Update. Working, Incomplete. ? June 2015

Return to News